Sunday, December 11, 2005

Illustrated trip to Ploiesti

The first stop on my way, the statue of Mihai Viteazul. The park around it has been the place where I would meet Oana for years, under the horse's tail, as we used to call it.Next, the Petrom office in Ploiesti, presenting a nice reflexion of the Cathedral and other buildings around it. The only biuilding in the city with a hellioport on top of it.
The "Sfantul Ioan" (St. John) Cathedral, with an impressive facade...Well, yes but the rest of the church behind it is quite small, thus generating an eye-catching contrast.
The Trade Union House, mostly use for theatre plays and other entertainmend shows, was also, for six summers in a row, home of my ballet shcool's anual shows, proudly presenting miss Kayla Vincent...This tradition continued long after I stopped attending the classes.
Statue of Mihai Eminescu, my favorite Romanian poet. I've always needed to see this statue when I need to trust I could do it all, shool related or work related.
The Palace of Culture - you can find the Cunty library here, the small theatre Equinox where I took some theatre lessons. Most important, here is were Marilena Eftimie still teaches ballet classes to little girls wanting to learn a little about grace. I attended her classes for 6 years (age 5 to 11)
The City Hall, we call it the White House, yes, I know, very funny! Ploiesti inhabitants do think they are on top of the world...
Omnia shopping centre, the largest one in the central area of Ploiesti. It's a symbol of how a huge comunist boring and extremely large shop can turn into a modern shopping centre, with places to eat, shop and a bank of course!
The Central Hotel, our very own Phoenix bird. It had decreased to one star after a fire but it was then reestablished. It's a three starts hotel right now, although the Western wing is still not finished.
As you can see, we like old traditional Christmas Trees, not the light bulb replacements from Bucharest. This huge one is placed in front of the City Hall, but there are two more, one in front of the Cathedral and one in front of the food and vegetables market. All three are properly decorated.
The clock, this one has been around for at least 12 years. It's the most common place to appoint a meeting, especially for students of all ages.
The statue of Nichita Stanescu, poet born in Ploiesti. This statue was unveiled in my third year of high-school and we all cut classes to attend the event.
Such little places to shop for books are specific to Ploiesti. There are around ten like this one down town.
A closer view
The Court of Law...The place I always associate with my mom, she's a legal advisor and sometimes appears in court here. Behind it is the place where I meet my mom after work.
Toma Caragiu, famous actor born in Ploiesti. The Theatre in the city has his name. He died during the great earthquake from March 4, 1977
My mom, on her way to meet me...Smiling, as always when she sees me waiting.

A nice little thins that I've discovered...At the fish market, live fish swimming in a little pool.The City Hall by night, lots of lights and the nicely decorated trees.
A view of the winter amusment park.
Another angle of the City Hall.
And of course, our huge sparkling real Christmas Tree...

11 comments:

Me said...

The photos are awesome Kayla !!!
Ploiesti is beautiful :)

Alina said...

Thank you, Me, I'm glad you liked it!

m0tasim said...

the tree at the city hall, looks real great!

Alina said...

Yup, it was my favorite part of the whole Christmas decorations.

Anonymous said...

aaahhhh!!! my favorite -- KFC!!!! you're making me hungry here, kayla! haha!

nah, kidding aside (tho i'm not really kidding, hehe), nice photos!! i wonder how you pronounce it (Ploiesti), "plwaesti"?

;)

Alina said...

How you prounounce it? In French, it should be written something like Plauiech(sh)ti or something like that :)I don't like KFC that much, I am a McD fan, but, if you like it, I'll take you there sometime :D

doshar said...

really good pictures! and i could almost smell the fresh air. the sky looks so clear and clean. :)

MoonLightShadow said...

I like the pictures very much.. Wish one day I'll be visiting Ploiesti :)

Alina said...

Doshar, it was indeed a very beautiful, sunny and warm day! A nice little present for me, as the day before and the day after were the complete opposite!

Moon, let's make a deal! You come to Bucharest and we'll also take a quick trip to Ploiesti! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Kayla, the pictures are great.
I was born in Ploiesti but I live abroad now. It's been a while since I last visited my beloved hometown but thanks to you I had a quick trip down memory lane and it felt wonderful. Thank you and thanks Google I found your blog.

Alina said...

Anonymous, I am glad I could help you remember Ploiesti! I live 60 kilometers away from it and still miss it, so I can imagine how it feels like!