Thursday, January 12, 2006

InsideAyasofya - Hagia Sophia

Just across the street, on the same European side of the city, Ayasofya was wating for its tourists. It takes about 2 minutes to get from Sultanahmet to this ex-Christian church, later transformed in mosque. It costs 15YTL to see it for foreigners and only 3YTL for Turks...So K. thought I should pretend to be Turkish...It was not that hard, just had to shut up for a few minutes. OK, it was not impossible...This huge marble bowl was made from one block of marble only. There are two in the mosque, facing eachother.
Ayasofya is significantly darker than Sultanahmet, mostly due to the fact that it's being renovated. It made picture-taking a bit difficult.
Ceremonial cleansing before prayer takes place here. Actually this small building in the mosque's courtyard was my favorite from Ayasofya
Nearby, a reminder that nothing lasts forever...This is what's left from a huge triumph arch...
Another attraction of the Sultanahmet neigborhood, Sultanamhet Koftecisi. We had some traditional kofte here, along with some rice and salad, and I discovered I loved ayran, a youghurt like drink, only a lot better!
It's said this restaurant that has been arroung since 1920 is the most copied restaurant in Istanbul. However, this only brings it more popularity, as we all crave for the real thing!

6 comments:

Me said...

Love the mosque and the views you captured... reminds me of a mosque in Damascus...

PS. I never knew K was Turkish !!!

Alina said...

Well, yeah, I never said he was...Now you all know:)

Alina said...

I loved it as well especially the view from up top, through the Empress' balcony.

loloma said...

Your photos from Istanbul have reminded me of my own trip there, almost 4 years ago. I didn't have time to visit as much as you did, but it is surely a very nice place.

Alina said...

Lo, I only visited half of the places I wanted to, but I hope there will be a second time for that. Maybe for you too! :)

sultanahmet said...

Great pics my friend.
Thanks for sharing.